Monday 12 September 2016

Jade's first surgery.....

Tuesday 22nd March

Well, this was one of the hardest days I've experienced since Jade was born... (and we've had some hard times).... 

Jade had a suspicious spot on her nose that had been around (after going back through blog photos) since May 2015 - it just all of a sudden was there, and it didn't go away... We went and saw our doctor - then we went and saw a surgeon and he suggested we have it removed and checked...


We got to the admission area....  and someone forgot her jumper... so of course, I had to give up mine....


They admitted us to the children's ward - it was warmer up here, so she gave me back my jumper....


The nurse came in and gave her an arm band... 


Killing time until we head to theatre....




Yup - she's her father's daughter!  couldn't help but check out the machinery....
(luckily, she knew better than to ACTUALLY touch the buttons...)


Drawing on the tablet....




Jade was a little confused with the fact that they wheeled her to the theatre.... nothing wrong with her legs.... ;)


Oh yeah... rocking the scrubs!




and at this point, it all went south......  We were happily waiting and then the one guy came through, I'm not even sure what his position was...  he wasn't the anaesthetist or the surgeon... but, he said that they were going to just stick a needle in Jade's nose (local anaesthetic) and perform a punch biopsy...  which was not the advice we'd received from the hospital and the Children's ward where they confirmed with Jade the procedure for the day which involved putting her to sleep first, and THEN putting the cannula in her arm and she'd wake up and it would all be done...

Nope, this guy freaks her out by saying that he's going to shove a needle in her nose that is going to sting and then she was going to be awake while they took to her nose with a sharp scalpel... Yup... all the things you should NOT be telling a 10yr old!

Luckily, the anaesthetist came in, saw how petrified Jade was and reverted to the original plan....


they drew a circle on my terrified kid's nose... she was putting on a brave face, but she was destroyed....

I'd managed to calm her down before they took her into the theatre, she got up on the bed... they put the mask over her face and the gas started.... at that point - she freaked...  she said "Please don't do this... I trust you... don't do this to me" I ended up having to hold her down on the bed - hold her head still with the anaesthetist asking me what I wanted to do - I confirmed that it would only take a few seconds for her to go to sleep and I held her down... it felt terrible to do, and I still feel terrible about having to do it... but.. it was necessary....



After 20mins - she was out and starting to wake up....


She told me about a bad dream she'd had about fighting against the gas .... I explained once she was a bit more awake that it wasn't a dream, but it was all ok and that it was over....


Jade was given a Red Cross bear for being so brave....




The following day she was off to school... and it was already looking much better....


Day two....


Kooky-Face!




And all of this happened while Rob was over in Canada...   It was a very hard five weeks without him, I blew up his computers, the house flooded, my boss advised that she'd sold her business and we only had three weeks left before we no longer had jobs... I had to go for an interview with a new firm... But, I managed it all.... and we're all still healthy... (aside from a couple of stitches)

No comments:

February - Slumber Party Roller Disco

Friday 10th February PJ Party Time! Jade had arranged with her friend that they'd go in onesies to the disco.....  so tha...