Thursday 6 November 2008

Blake - Day Two...

Before I start on Day Two, I should probably explain Day One (3/11/08)...

We arrived at the hospital at 7am to check-in for the c-section.. I think we must have been earlier than the people booked in first - because we were first into the operating theatre instead of being in second which they'd advised we were... but that's ok...

I got all gowned up and taken into the theatre... because I'd ended up with a general anesthetic because they couldn't get the spinal to work and they didn't have time to muck around (yay for emergencies after 11.5hrs horrible labour - which followed 2 days of induced labour which wasn't as nasty).... Anyway, so I'm panicking about this entire night before... (I'm really good at working myself up over this kind of thing...)

So, after a bit of poking and prodding - they finally got the spinal happening - did all the tests and started poking me some more.. apparently... (I was told that I would feel pressure and stuff - I barely felt anything... but i was numb even down my arms.... so I must react really well to their drugs)...

Finally Blake was delivered at 9:23am - I was stapled back together and sent up to the ward....

Blake had been taken off to the special care nursery because he had a breathing problem which is apparently quite common in c-section babies as there is no "pushing" from the labour... so he was in a humidy crib (explains the pics from Day 1 that Rob posted)... he was in that nursery until 10:30pm that night when they finally brought him in for a feed (they'd expressed from me earlier in the day - but I was stressing by 10:30pm after having asked for him a few times since 6pm onwards.... but that's really too much to blog and I don't want to get cranky)...

He was taken back to the nursery after each feed (10:30pm, 1:30am, 5:30am)... after the 5:30 feed they decided he had low blood sugar - so they gave him a formula to boost him and brought him into the room at 10am....

Ok... now...

Day Two (4/11/08)

This was definitely a better day than the last, it was my 31st birthday (so I did manage to have both my kids before I was out of 30 (which I'd previously decided I wanted)... but ONLY just!!!)...

Feeding was slightly stressful as I was worried about them deciding he'd be better on formula and I really didn't want to do that... but I perservered, I guess the fact that Colostrum is a much smaller output - makes you worry how much the baby is actually getting..... Anyway, long story short... it all paid out in the end...

The improvement this birth over the delivery of Jade is that the Fathers are allowed to be in the ward from 8am til 8pm each day....

Mom came to the house at 7:30 to do "Jade Duties" (Mom's in charge of making sure Jade's hair is done each day before school and her teeth are cleaned etc... and then Mom takes Jade to school) - the idea then is that Rob can leave straight away and drive to Rocky (1.25hrs away) to spend the day with me... for the last couple of days Mom has been arriving at 7am so that Rob can get up earlier....

Anyway, so Rob headed up and got to spend the day with us - which was fantastic... they took out the catheter and the canular in the morning and I was able to get out of bed... so, I got Rob to help me up (OMG I forgot how much it hurt to have your guts cut open...) - he was then on shower patrol to make sure that I didn't have any accidents..... his duty then for the day was to hand me Blake everytime he needed to be fed - and Rob took charge of nappy changes etc....

so, that's pretty much it for the day.....




Mom, Dad and Gran came up in the afternoon to visit... and of course had to take the doting grandparent pics.... Blake slept most of the time they were here..... (he's big on this sleep thing... but they all are at this age aren't they???)
Proud Gran

Proud Grandpa

Proud GG

(oh, I should point out - the outfit he's wearing - we bought for Jade and she didn't wear again after we left hospital because she was even too big for it then... Blake's feet get lost in the legs and if you want to expose his hands you have to roll the sleeves over....)

1 comment:

Jaime S said...

gorgeous pics! Welcome to the world Blake. Thankyou for sharing your full story, I have read womens posts before where they are terrified and very upset in those first few days when they can't see their babies much, I think first time mothers react much worse to it, do you think it's a C thing? I think women sharing these stories will help others be prepared and also maybe help the hospital system be improved one day.

I hope you're having a great first few days with Blake and I think family life is going to be so great for you guys as usual :).

February - Slumber Party Roller Disco

Friday 10th February PJ Party Time! Jade had arranged with her friend that they'd go in onesies to the disco.....  so tha...