Tuesday 30 May 2017

Sometimes "Doctors" don't know best!

Sunday 11th September

So, it's been nearly two weeks since Jade's last paediatrician appointment....  When we went in there, Jade had lost 6kgs since the start of the year and had grown 10cm... So yeah, she'd had a growth spurt... but when we'd gone in in February for the last appointment soccer hadn't started again, she'd just finished school holidays where she'd done very little... and she was on a slightly "pudgy" scale at that point.... and after that appointment she moved up to u13 girls soccer, where they train twice a week for 1.5hrs at a time and then play a much longer game each Friday night.... the weight came off...

Apparently that isn't taken into consideration when you go to a Dr - all they care about is a graph that says that if your child is XX height - then they need to be YY weight... (rather than actually look at the child and say "yup.... you look healthy.. you don't get sick... everything's going well")

Anyway, whilst in the appointment the "know all" doctor said that Jade was 12kgs underweight... and she needed to put that weight on and that I should make her get on the scales each week to track her weight gain....  

She also suggested that I make Jade eat potatoes loaded with butter to get some extra weight on her...

I just nodded... and after I left, I was majorly pissed....

Soccer season had just ended, so I knew the weight would start adding up again, but I wasn't concerned... as soon as she was back at soccer, it would come off again... I'm not going to put my kid on the scales.... I'm not going to make a 10yr old focus on their weight...

Well, my worst nightmare ..... Jade stopped eating.... not entirely... she still ate some - but she was avoiding lunch at school, she started to even look a little drawn in the face.... I was really starting to worry about it.. but again, didn't want to make a thing of it... so just tried different things...

I eventually won her over with Mac Cheese for dinner - and she ate the lot!



Still not impressed with her Dr.... so, time to start looking for a new one.....

No comments:

February - Slumber Party Roller Disco

Friday 10th February PJ Party Time! Jade had arranged with her friend that they'd go in onesies to the disco.....  so tha...