Saturday 26 January 2008

While the cat's away...

The mice don't do much at all, actually. We're so dull. Tharyn's off in Sydney, so Greg and I are bachelor-ing it here. So far we've umm. Done nothing really. Greg's had his mates over here, and we've been playing Guitar Hero on the Wii. I've also been playing with the new File server here (more about that below, for anyone who's interested in the Geek stuff).

Guitar Hero is the most fun game I've ever played, I think. Greg and I are lucky in that we've been playing it a lot more than his mates, so when they're overe here playing, we're on Medium and Hard, while his mates are still on Easy. So we kick their arses. Mwahahah.

Greg's got a meeting at KFC tomorrow, at 8am, so he has to be up nice and early, showered and dressed in his uniform. Here's a handy map so you can see how far away it is from here. (Yay google maps!)


View Larger Map

He's just wandered out and I warned him that he should be in bed by 12 at the latest, and he went 'Oh yeah!'. I'm really happy to see him working, and he seems pretty happy with the entire idea too - not just coz there are some hot chicks working there (Pun intended 8)!

We've also organised to get Matt up here for a week over his Easter holidays. Unfortunately, his (NSW) holidays don't mesh up with our (QLD) holidays, so he's up here while Greg's at school. I'll probably take him out with me a couple of times so he can see what I do. That'll keep him from being bored, hopefully. He's also been playing Guitar Hero, so we'll have some competition hopefully 8)

Tharyn's putting Jade to bed at the moment, she had an awful time with Jade on the first night - the room she's in at my mum's has a light shining right in the window, and no curtains! They put up some Alfoil on the windows yesterday and managed to get through a night reasonably well - she's always slept in the dark, she's never wanted a night-light or anything - so having a bright light shining on her only kept her awake, poor thing.

Apparently Jade's also getting on really well with Sally, Mum's greyhound. Sally, of course, is getting on with Jade - Greyhounds love EVERYONE! Jade took her for her walk yesterday morning, Tharyn tells me, and Jade loved it. Tharyn HAS got pictures, and will be sharing them 8)

For the Geek stuff, which I mentioned above, I have had a good win with the new Exchange 2007 server here. Dell sent us a letter recently saying 'You can get 25% off any Dell server you buy!' because we've been buying quite a few recently, so we took the opportunity to upgrade the aging server here. For the geeks, it's a Quad Core Xeon, with 8GB of RAM, 2 x 160gb HDD's (Mirrored) and 4 x 1TB HDD's (RAID5).

I've stuck Windows 2003 x64 and Exchange 2007 x64 on it, which was the first time I've installed it, and I'm glad that I wasn't doing it for a customer! It's much more complex to install than the old Exchange servers. It's also a lot more powerful, and has some pretty snazzy features, one of which is the ability to have 'push' email - this means that the 'device' (in this case, my NextG phone) connects to the server, and the server tells the phone when mail comes in. Normally, email is a 'pull' setup. Every couple of minutes, the email client goes 'Have I got any new mail?' and the server says yes or no. With push email, there's no data wasted on all this checking. This is important in a mobile phone, because data is SO EXPENSIVE! I've got a couple of customers who are REALLY going to like this. I think it's pretty funky myself 8)

--Rob

No comments:

February - Slumber Party Roller Disco

Friday 10th February PJ Party Time! Jade had arranged with her friend that they'd go in onesies to the disco.....  so tha...